Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

PIDGIN ENGLISH FELA STYLE UPSIDE DOWN edit



I don't know a lot about Nigerian revolutionary Fela Anikulapo Kuti but I do know that he is one of the most important afro music luminaries of the twentieth century. A buddy of mine at university back in the mid 80's told me that his music was very influential on dance floors in Ibiza. This buddy who was one of my first introductions to the "jet set" was likely telling it like it is. Italian dj Daniele "Cosmic" Baldelli used to play Fela in his sets at baia degli angeli the seminal 70's Italian disco near Pesaro. Cosmic often played sets of Afro and World music. Afrobeat which was Fela's style of music is a mixture of jazz, funk, rock and traditional African chants and rhythms. Now that's a mouthful!

My two copies were sold in my Ebay store. They sold for a lofty price so it could safely be noted that this 1976 12" release is rather scarce. Fela Ransome Kuti recorded under a multitude of names. This release was under the moniker Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Africa 70.

flipside edit

Here's a fascinating documentary.









Fela Kuti died of Kaposi's Sarcoma on August 2, 1997.


No comments: